This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (December 2010)
A slurry pump is a type of pump designed for pumping liquid containing solid particles. Slurry pumps changes in design and construction to adjust to multiple type of slurry which varies in concentration of solids, size of solids, weight of solids, shape of solids and chemistry. Slurry pump arr most robust than liquid pumps due to added sacrificial material and replaceable wear parts to withstand wear due to abrasion.
Slurry pumps can be centrifugal and positive displacement. Centrifugal slurry pumps can have between bearings supported shaft with split casing and rubber or metal lined casing or most common overhung impeller in horizontal, vertical suspended and submersible pump.
Slurry is usually classified according to the concentration of solids. Commercial classification are 5% of solids by weight (mine de-watering), 20% solids by weight (General sumps), 40% solids by weight (heavy duty) and 70% solids by weight (Mine tailing, mineral concentrates and sand). The peripheral speed of the impeller is one of the main features and classification of slurry pumps. Speed must be in accordance with the slurry type classification (abrasion classification) in order to maintain a reasonable life in service due to high abrasion of solids.
Engineering classification of slurry is a bit more complex and involves concentration, particle size, shape and weight in order to determine abrasion severity. For engineering selection of slurry pumps, slurry is classified as class 1, class 2, class 3 and class 4.
Selection of slurry pumps are more difficult than selection of pumps for water and liquids. There are many factors and corrections to the duty point that affects break horse power and wear. Root-dynamic Centrifugal Slurry Pumps (ANSI/HI 12.1-12.6-2016) provides methods for calculation of slurry pumps.
Slurry pumps are widely used in transport of abrasives solids on different classification in many industries such as mining, dredging, steel and general industry. Depend on the mining process the application could also be corrosive which present a challenge because corrosion resistant materials like stainless steel softer than high iron steel. Most common metal alloy for slurry pumps is known as high chrome which is basically white iron with 25% chromium added to make it less brittle. Rubber line casings are also used for certain application where the size solid particle are small.
gold, silver, iron ore, tin, steel, coal, titanium, copper, mineral sands, Lead and zinc. They are often designed to be suitable for heavy-wearing and heavy-duty uses. Various other industries include Molybdenum, Electric Utilities, Oil Shale, Water & Sewage Utilities, Building areas, Sand & Gravel, Tobacco and Agriculture (hog, poultry, dairy manure) and are grouped by:
- impeller quantity: single stage and multistage slurry pump
- shaft position from the horizontal: horizontal and vertical slurry pump
- impeller suction way: single suction and double suction slurry pump
- pump casing structure: solid casing, horizontal split-case, and vertical split-case slurry pump
- The impeller, either elastomer, stainless steel or high-chrome material, is the main rotating component which normally has vanes to impart the centrifugal force to the liquid.
- Split outer casing halves of cast contain the wear liners and provide high operation pressure capabilities. The casing shape is generally of semi-volute or concentric, efficiencies of which are less than that of the volute type.
- Shaft and Bearing Assembly
- A large diameter shaft with a short overhang minimizes deflection and vibration. Heavy-duty roller bearing are housed in a removable bearing cartridge.
- Shaft sleeve
- A hardened, heavy-duty corrosion-resistant sleeve with O-ring seals at both ends protects the shaft. A split fit allows the sleeve removed or installed quickly.
- Shaft Seal
- Expeller drive seal, Packing seal, Mechanical seal.
- Drive Type
- V-belt drive, gear reducer drive, fluid coupling drive, and frequency conversion drive devices.